Broccoli Orzo Salad
This salad has small pieces of broccoli that melt in your mouth with the orzo pasta. The fresh, tangy buttermilk dressing makes this salad extra delicious.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Ingredients (Makes 4 to 6 servings)
- 750 mL (3 cups) finely chopped broccoli
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) whole wheat orzo
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) buttermilk
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh basil or 15 mL/1 tbsp dried basil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley or 15 mL/1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In saucepan of boiling water, cook orzo for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 3 minutes or until orzo is tender but firm. Drain well and place in bowl.
- Meanwhile, in small food processor or blender, puree buttermilk with basil, parsley, green onion until smooth. Pulse in garlic and vinegar. Pour over orzo mixture; add cheese and toss to coat well.
For a cold salad, simply rinse the orzo and broccoli under cold water after cooking and drain well. Add dressing as in recipe.
To make 75 mL (1/3 cup) of your own buttermilk place 5 mL (1 tsp) lemon juice into glass measuring cup and add enough skim milk to make 75 mL (1/3 cup).
Nutrition Information Per Serving (150 mL/2/3 cup) - Calories: 163, Protein: 9 g, Total fat: 2 g, Saturated fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 4 mg, Carbohydrate: 31 g, Fibre: 5 g, Sugar: 3 g, Sodium: 104 mg, Potassium: 322 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.